Monday, February 21, 2011

Liszt's Hungarian Rhapsody No. 2

Franz Liszt (October 22, 1811 – July 31, 1886)
aka: Ferencz Liszt, Ferenc Liszt, Liszt Ferenc

The video has some biographical information as well as pictures, so if you want biographical info on purportedly one of the greatest pianists of all time, watch while you listen.

Liszt's Hungarian Rhapsody No. 2 is probably one of his most famous works. I'm sure many of you have heard it before, especially if you didn't have a shit childhood. I first recently heard this masterpiece on my way to my CompSci final in May of 2010 on the radio. I sat in my car and waited for about 5 minutes so I could catch the name of the piece and its composer because I knew I had heard it before.

This piece, complete with exciting highs and soothing lulls, sends you on a rollercoaster of awesome. It starts off pretty majestically and heavy. The piece lightens up with the higher woodwinds (i.e. flute / piccolo), and the staccato in the strings give the piece that certain airy bounce. Then, Liszt has the piece answer back heavily with the low strings. The piece then begins to merge as the two overlap and begin the part with which most of you will be familiar. I don't know which orchestra performed this recording, but it is probably one of the best you'll find on the youtubes. Anyway, have a listen and enjoy. See if you can recall from which part of your childhood this piece is.

And don't look it up either. I know you kids and your webbernets business.



No comments:

Post a Comment